During the 2nd quarter each year LANTA estimates what funds will be necessary for operating and capital expenses throughout the upcoming fiscal year (July 1 through June 30 of the following year). The capital program of projects LANTA is proposing is presented in general terms. Funds are being sought to support these projects through Sections 5307, 5309, 5340 and other sections of the Transit title of the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, and Efficient Transportation Act – A Legacy for Users.
Approximately $7 million is available to the Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton urbanized area for capital improvements to the Lehigh Valley public transportation system through FFY 2012. Projected operating expenses for the Authority’s Metro and Metro Plus Divisions for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2011 are expected to be approximately $37 million.
Given these operating assumptions, projected revenues, predictions concerning levels of government funding, and the economic environment – LANTA expects to generate approximately $24.7 million in operating revenue. Financial assistance grant from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the amount of $11.6 million is available through PA Act 44 of 2007.
In addition to operating funds, the Authority will be applying for capital and planning funds from the federal government to support the following projects.
1. Purchase 20 accessible vehicles for the Metro Plus division. Total project cost: $1,360,000.
2. General/miscellaneous shop and office equipment purchases. Projected cost $1,150,000.
3. The Annual bus preventative maintenance program is estimated to cost $4,000,000 using fund available through the Federal Transit Administration.
4. A total of $650,000 in FTA funding will be used under the ADA paratransit capitalization program.
5. The FTA transportation enhancement projects set aside is $65,000.
6. ITS – intelligent transportation system and other security projects are budgeted at $150,000.