PROPOSED PROGRAM OF PROJECTS FEDERAL FISCAL YEAR FY 2018
LANtaBus and LANtaVan
PROPOSED PROGRAM OF PROJECTS
Federal Fiscal Year FY 2018
- LANtaBus is the name of the fixed-route, public transportation system operated by LANTA. The Authority plans to continue LANtaBus services at current levels.
- LANtaVan is the name of the Authority’s division which arranges transportation services for people with disabilities in the LANtaVan service area who are unable to use regular, fixed route transit services. No fare increase or restructuring for LANtaVan services will be implemented in FY 2018.
- Funds for the Program of Projects FFY 2018 will be sought through FTA formula funding programs Section 5307, 5310 & 5339 of the FAST Act in the amount of $8.88 million as apportioned to the A.B.E. urbanized area (PA portion) for transit projects through FFY 2018. Approximately $850,000 of funding under the Congestion Mitigation Air Quality program is also being sought. Matching funds are provided through the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Act 89 funding as well as through Lehigh and Northampton Counties, Pennsylvania for a total program budget of $12.47 million. The Program of Projects FFY 2018 is described below. Line items will be funded through a combination of the sources noted above:
Funds for the FFY 2018 Program of Projects will be sought through Federal Transit Administration (FTA) formula funding programs Section 5307, 5339 & 5340 of the FAST Act in the amount of $8.88 million as apportioned to the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA; Phillipsburg, NJ urbanized area (PA portion) for transit projects through FFY 2018. Approximately $850,000 of funding under the Federal Congestion Mitigation Air Quality (CMAQ) program and $658,000 of funding under the Federal Section 5310 program is also being sought. Matching funds are provided through the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Act 89 funding as well as through Lehigh and Northampton Counties, Pennsylvania for a total program budget of $13.29 million. The FFY 2018 Program of Projects is described below. Line items will be funded through a combination of the sources noted above:
Project Total Bus Rolling Stock 6,387,500 Three (3) Replacement 40-FT Buses CNG 1,515,000 Five (5) Replacement 35-FT Buses CNG 2,500,000 Lease Associated Capital Maintenance Items 100,000 Buy Associated Capital Maintenance Items 900,000 Replacement Vans (LANtaVan) 1,312,000 Replacement Non-Revenue Service Vehicles 60,000 OTHER CAPITAL ITEMS 5,910,000 Preventive Maintenance – Vehicles 5,000,000 ADA Paratransit Service Capitalization 850,000 Miscellaneous Facility Preventive Maintenance 60,000 Bus Support Equipment and Facilities 313,000 Miscellaneous Support equipment 100,000 Track Concrete Replacement Program 213,000 ITS & Other Security 682,001 Computer & Related Equipment 110,843 LANTA Fare Collection System 450,000 Avail Maintenance Contract 121,158 13,292,501
- There will be no significant environmental impacts; the projects are in conformance with the guidelines of the Clean Air Act of 1990.
- The items being presented at the hearing have been approved by the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO): the Lehigh Valley Transportation Study, (LVTS), and are part of the certified Transportation Improvement Program for the Lehigh Valley. The project conforms to comprehensive land use and transportation planning within Lehigh and Northampton Counties. Through the MPO, Surface Transportation Program (STP) funds or Congestion Mitigation/Air Quality (CMAQ) funds are being sought to underwrite the cost of capital projects not covered by FTA funds available to the Lehigh Valley.
- This program of projects is necessary for the general welfare of the elderly and people with disabilities and transportation schedules have been and will continue to be developed to generally service areas where such persons reside. The project will also be used to continue a coordinated specialized paratransit system designed to provide service to semi ambulatory persons and those confined to wheelchairs to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA).
Senior citizens 65 years of age or older ride public transit free of charge. People with disabilities, certified as eligible, ride LANtaBus for one half the cash fare. LANTA also has other discount fare programs for frequent riders as well as people with mobility-related disabilities.
The proposed Program of Projects (POP) for FFY 2018 was presented by the Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority (LANTA) at a public hearing in the Community Room on the second floor of the LANTA Allentown Office, 1060 Lehigh Street, Allentown, PA, on Friday May 12, 2017 at 12:00 noon, for the purpose of reviewing LANTA’s plans for continuing LANtaBus and LANtaVan public transportation services and the Program of Projects FFY 2018 for which financial assistance is being sought from the Federal Transit Administration. Interested persons may submit, orally or in writing, or in any other accessible medium, evidence and recommendations with respect to said program of projects by calling 610-435-4052, mailing written comments to Executive Director, LANTA, 1060 Lehigh Street, Allentown, PA 18103; or by email at email@example.com. Comments will be accepted through Monday, June 5, 2017.
If no substantial changes are adopted by the LANTA Board as a result of a review of the information gathered through this public hearing process, the program of projects will be implemented as outlined here, a second public notice will not be issued and the program presented on May 12 will be final.
May 12, 2017 Public Hearing Official Testimony – PDF.
DBE GOAL FOR FEDERAL FISCAL YEARS 2017-2019
The Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority (LANTA) has established a DBE participation goal of 5.50% of applicable Federal Transit Administration grant funds for Federal Fiscal Years 2017-2019. The methodology for determining this goal is described in this PDF document.
Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled
A drug-free, smoke-free workplace